Call for Applications – Undergraduate Teaching Assistants (UGTAs)
Description: A summer teaching opportunity to assist Dr. Shermadou with teaching a 2-week on-campus course offering for NCKU (National Cheng Kung University) students visiting from Taiwan as part of a joint degree program with Purdue. The course will cover several of the topics from ENGR 131 and 132 (with more of an emphasis on 132 content), including data analysis, MATLAB programming skills and concepts, and engineering decision making.
Duties include: Helping students during class, grading, assisting with help sessions, and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Prior experience as a UGTA preferred
- MATLAB programming proficiency or experience in programming required
- Experience with Excel and Microsoft Office
- Must be available to work on-site (at Purdue) June 27 – July 8
- Must be comfortable overseeing help sessions without instructor present
- Enjoys working with people at all levels and of various cultural backgrounds
- Works effectively as part of a team and is able to comfortably alter roles from
leadership to followership
- Positive attitude and patience
Key Course and Employment Details
- Class is conducted every week day starting June 27 and ending July 8 (no class on July 4)
- UGTAs will be responsible for being present during lecture times (3-hrs/day) and help sessions (1-hr/day) for NCKU students throughout the course offering
- UGTAs will be responsible for grading HW assignments and the final project
- The expected appointment is 15-20 hours per week at a pay rate of $15/hour
Application Process: Please send a statement of interest and current copy of your resume to Prof. Jesiek (bjesiek@purdue) by Friday, May 27. Finalists will then meet with Drs. Shermadou and Jesiek for further evaluation, with the goal of finalizing our UGTA selections in early June.