Applications are open for The Data Mine learning communities for 2020-21: https://www.purdue.edu/lc/application We will send out the first round of admissions next week. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis.
No background is needed. All undergraduate students (all majors; all years) are welcome. The key trait for joining the Data Mine is the desire to learn Data Science skills in a rigorous, but welcoming environment.
Students will work with real data sources to learn the latest in data analysis, including topics such as R, data visualization, bash, regular expressions, pattern matching, SQL databases, XML scraping, and parsing. Companies and graduate programs are actively looking for students with these skills. Participation in the Data Mine is a natural stepping stone for learning about Data Science. This experience will prepare students to work on research or internships that require knowledge about managing, visualizing, and analyzing large data sets. The seminars in the Data Mine will open students’ eyes to the wide variety of possibilities for potential graduate study or employment in data-driven fields.
We will have roughly 700 students living in Hillenbrand Hall, including:
**300 students in our CORPORATE PARTNERS program, which will include companies, such as:
|Cummins||Indiana EMS||Rolls Royce||Viasat|
|Elanco||John Deere||Sandia||and several more|
** and 400 students in programs with our academic departments:
- Actuarial Science
- Analyzing Digital Gaming and Culture
- Data and Society (Philosophy and Political Science, new partners for 2020-21)
- Data in Health and Human Sciences, a new partnership among Human Development and Family Studies, Nursing, Public Health, and the Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering (RCHE)
- Data Visualization
- Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
- Institutional Assessment, Diversity, and Student Success
- Pharmacy / Drug Discovery
- Sports Analytics (new for 2020-21!)
- Vertically Integrated Program (Engineering)
For 2020-21, we will have more flexible housing arrangements
within Hillenbrand Hall, and students in different Data Mine groups will be
permitted to live together.
Read more information here: https://datamine.purdue.edu
Questions? Please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org