Acutronic Turbines Inc. (ATI) is looking for Mechanical Engineer interns to join its growing team in Austin, Texas. We offer an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on engineering experience in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Interns have multiples opportunities to gain real-world experience including, but not limited to: working closely with the engineering team, providing support through engineering design and analysis,
troubleshooting system-level problems, and evaluating technology. Our ideal candidates will be self-motivated, not afraid to “roll up their sleeves”, and be eager to learn.
For 45 years, Acutronic’s Motion Simulation & Test Division has been the global market leader in the development, design, and manufacture of Inertial Guidance Test Systems and Hardware-In-The-Loop motion simulators. These high-precision motion simulators are used in the aerospace, defense, automotive, and consumer electronics industries to test and calibrate sensors and missiles.
Acutronic’s Aerospace Components Division develops and manufactures specialty components for use on unmanned aerial vehicles and optionally-piloted aircraft. These products are used on next-generation aerospace programs and include a range of electric power systems, servo-actuators, micro-turbines and Hybrid-Electrical-Propulsion-Systems. Acutronic Aerospace offers standard products and excels at designing highly-customized solutions for demanding mission requirements.
Acutronic employs approximately 200 employees across its locations in Austin, TX; Pittsburgh, PA; Baltimore, MD; Switzerland; Germany, and India.
Acutronic is seeking experienced
Mechanical Engineering Interns
Your roles/responsibilities will include:
- Perform basic engineering design, development, analysis, experimentation, test and/or product assurance tasks of limited complexity for assigned portions of a project. Ensures tasks meet cost, quality, schedule, and performance requirements;
- Analyze and interpret design specifications, drawings, documentation, models and/or test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications, and product requirements;
- Troubleshoot and isolate system level problems discovered during test activities or production and determine root-cause including design defects and production/supplier issues, and recommend near-term workaround;
- Provide support for multiple projects working closely with the engineering team;
- May independently evaluate, select, and apply standard technical techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
Your qualifications/skills should include:
- Excellent computer skills;
- Strong critical thinking skills;
- Understanding of engineering concepts and fundamentals;
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as participate as part of a team;
- Multi-tasking ability;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Must have completed at least two years of academic studies at an accredited college or university;
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA in Mechanical Engineering coursework;
- Due to the nature of the projects, which are governed by ITAR and/or EAR, must be a US Citizen.
Position type / physical demand:
- This is a temporary, full-time position that will occur during Summer break from academic studies. The company operates on a ‘9/80’ schedule which means our employees work 80 hours over 9 business days and have every other Friday off;
- Work is generally performed in an office environment.
Are you ready for a new challenge? If so, please email your resume to email@example.com, or mail to:
The Acutronic Company.
700 Waterfront Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
ATTN: Human Resource Department
Phone 412 926-1200
Fax 412 697-8111
Acutronic is an Equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at HR@acutronic.com or Phone 412.926.1200.
Hartzell Propeller Inc.
Hartzell Propeller Inc. is a world class engineering and manufacturing company offering the broadest range of propeller systems in the aviation industry. We design, develop, test, manufacture, and support constant-speed aluminum and composite propeller systems for all categories of aircraft, ranging from general aviation to military applications.
The company traces its history to 1914, where a relationship between Orville Wright and Robert Hartzell led to the manufacture of the first Hartzell propeller in 1917. The company was founded on the principle of “Built on Honor” – a clear and abiding value in our business.
The Mechanical/Certification Engineer is responsible for the design and direct installation of mechanical, hydro-mechanical and or electro-mechanical products for propellers. The primary product line of responsibility will be aviation propellers and/or propeller components and propeller certification. This engineer position responsibility will include: 3D modeling in SoildWorks, preliminary structural analysis, failure analysis, writing test plans, oversee testing, document and interpret test results and project planning. In addition, the design engineer will interface with sales, manufacturing and the customer to implement new designs from inception to use in the field.
- Define the propeller configurations using 3D modeling (SolidWorks) software
- Write engineering test plans and reports
- Perform preliminary structural analysis
- Perform geometric dimension and tolerance assessments
- Master engineering changes in ERP/MRP/PDM systems
- Develop an understanding of the applicable FAA regulations, with a goal of becoming an ODA Unit Member.
- Designing rotating structural parts
- Manage project assignments
First Year Success Factors
- Develop a working understanding of the function of Hartzell’s different propeller systems
- Develop a working relationship with manufacturing and the sales group in order to support our products and customers
- Develop a working understanding of metal manufacturing processes (i.e.; machining, forging, casting)
- Manage engineering changes in Hartzell’s ERP,MRP, PDM software systems.
- Manage a number of concurrent project assignments using Microsoft Project and Access data bases.
- Become proficient with 3D modeling software – Solidworks
- Write engineering test plans and successfully coordinate testing with the engineering test lab
BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree. Experience with SolidWorks modeling software desired. Flying experience or interest in flying is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient Computer Skills (MS-Office, solid modeling software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Knowledge of rotating structural analysis
- Knowledge of aerospace materials
- Knowledge of assessing propeller/component life using applicable material fatigue capabilities and environmental effects.
- Engineering drawing standards (ANSI 14.5Y)
- Knowledge of project management methods (Microsoft Project)
- Adaptability – Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in the work tasks or the work environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures.
- Continuous Learning – Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Innovation – Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
- Manages Work – Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Work Standards – Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self imposes standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Customer Focus– Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
- Contributes to Team Success – Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Competitive compensation & benefits package
Hartzell Propeller, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.