The Academic Success Center is currently seeking Supplemental Instruction (SI) leaders for ME 200 for Spring 2020. Our hope is to select someone for this position soon, so that we can get the new leader trained and ready to begin supporting their peers before the semester gets too far underway.
If you meet the requirements listed below, please consider applying:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.30 or above (or two consecutive term GPAs of 3.30+)
- Grade of B+ or higher in ME 200
This is a paid leadership position that requires 10-15 hours of work per week with a starting wage of $10/hour. The role of an SI Leader is to help students in their assigned course develop a better understanding of the course material through active, collaborative learning involving critical thinking, transferable study skills, and fun. This position is an excellent opportunity to improve leadership and communication skills, develop a network of faculty and professional mentors, and further cement content knowledge and skills within the leader’s discipline. Interested students can apply at https://tinyurl.com/SI-ME200.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader
Overview of Role
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders are student leaders who provide weekly, peer-led study sessions for traditionally challenging courses. The role of an SI Leader is to help students in their assigned course develop a better understanding of the course material through active, collaborative learning involving critical thinking, transferrable study skills, and fun. Rather than teaching or directly answering questions, SI Leaders facilitate and guide students to finding answers for themselves. SI Leaders typically work with small to medium sized groups of students, with some courses occasionally having large groups before exams.
The role of SI Leader is fun and rewarding. It is an excellent opportunity to improve leadership and communication skills, develop a network of faculty and professional mentors, and further cement content knowledge and skills within the leader’s discipline. The position requires a high level of both responsibility and time commitment.
Responsibilities of Position
SI Leaders are responsible for a number of tasks, including:
- attending one section of the assigned course’s lecture
- planning and facilitating two or three 50-minute sessions a week
- holding one office hour a week
- meeting with course faculty once a week
- meeting with SI Leader team and professional staff supervisor a few times a semester
- additional documentation, administrative tasks, and professional development opportunities
Qualifications for SI Leader Position
Students interested in applying to be a SI Leader must:
- be an undergraduate student
- have a cumulative GPA of a 3.3 or higher or two consecutive term GPAs of 3.3 or higher
- be able to commit to working 10-15 hours a week in this position
- be able to attend the two day pre-semester training (Fri & Sat before classes start) OR participate in a make-up training workshop (at ASC Professional Staff discretion)
- meet course-specific requirements (typically a B+ or higher in the supported course)
Hours & Compensation: typically 10-15 hours a week, starting wage of$10/hour
Application process: Apply online at https://tinyurl.com/SI-ME200. Select candidates will be invited to interview at the ASC.
Please direct any
questions about the position
to SI Professional Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org