Our team is looking to expand our operations for developing a VSTOL Air Tanker Concept for Wildfire Management to win the NASA Aeronautics Design Challenge. We are looking for Mechanical, Aerospace, Computer, and Electrical engineers who would be interested in an opportunity for working next semester in our team. We would require interested members to expect 6-8 hours of work every week next semester to complete a design report by May 2022. If you are interested in working on this project, please fill this Google Form.
We have multiple openings at CMSC for Sophomores and Juniors in AAE, ME & MSE for a particle physics support structures project with CMS, CERN.
We are designing, prototyping, and building large carbon fiber composite structures to support the various components with the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) – HL – Upgrade.
The project details are in the pdf attached with this email.
The responsibilities for the Undergrad Research Assistants will be as follows –
- Sample preparation for material characterization
- Experimental set up help
- Metrology – using CMM, FARO laser scan arm as well as Digital Image Correlation
- Part prototyping help including mechanical assembly and jig manufacturing
- Lab organization and clean up
- CAD modelling for simple parts and help with simulation set ups
- Writing simple codes to plot the data gathered in experiments
- Report writing and documentation work
Expectations, qualifications, and requirements for these positions are –
- 3.0+ GPA and Sophomores or Juniors as of Fall 2021
- Mechanically minded (comfortable with hand tools, assembly, shop work, etc.)
- Organized and clean
- Willing to work 10+ hours per week in at least 4 hr increments
- Prior lab experience or just working in garage kind of experience an advantage
- Python, Matlab, CAD, electronics experience an advantage
- Desire to stay with the lab multiple years, over summer preferred
- Car or other easy transportation to the facility is helpful – CMSC is located in Purdue Research Park (1105 Challenger Ave., West Lafayette) – CityBus Stop on Route No. 10 is close by
Deadline to apply for the position – 10 Oct 2021. Interviews for selected candidates will be conducted on rolling basis till positions are filled.
Pay starting at $12.50 per hour
To apply – Send your resume and a 500-word cover letter to email@example.com
Cover letter –
Explaining why you want this position and talk about a single relevant project experience you have – can be as simple as I worked on a wooden table at home over a summer break. Anything that tells us your experience in making / manufacturing things and using simple hand and power tools. Of course, if you have lab or internship experience talk about that.
PI on the project – Dr. Ben Denos, Dr. Andy Jung
Graduate student – Sushrut Karmarkar
P.S. – Some useful links –
Sushrut Karmarkar | Graduate Research Assistant
Interfacial Multiphysics Lab; and Composites Manufacturing and Simulation Center
School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA
The Certificate and the SYS courses are available to ALL Purdue Students in any major. Solving today’s complex socio-technical problems requires a holistic perspective and convergence of knowledge.
Systems Thinking skills can benefit everyone, no matter the college or discipline. Systems thinking skills are widely applied all over the globe by companies, governments, and communities.