Title: Manufacturing Engineer
Reports to: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Location: Lafayette, IN
Effective: March 2022
The Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for developing, maintaining and continuously improving production processes for present and future programs in a gear manufacturing facility. This position will provide direction to shop floor employees and skilled trades personnel on all 3 shifts. This position requires self-motivation and the ability to provide leadership and technical troubleshooting skills in an engineering team environment.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, implement, and support manufacturing operations while optimizing processes and methods to meet product specifications and quality standards.
- Maximizes efficiency by analyzing layout of equipment, workflow, assembly methods, and work force utilization.
- Interface directly with customers and Dana design engineering to analyze new products with focus on design for manufacturability.
- Design and or procure tooling, gauging and fixtures for existing and new product.
- Provide technical assistance to shop floor personnel daily. Including approving set-ups & gear charts, solving process issues, understanding cause of non-conforming parts, and implementing corrective action to prevent it from re-occurring.
- Explore new technologies for capital investment and identify equipment that needs to be upgraded or replaced.
Knowledge & Skills Summary:
- Machining background is required, Gear Manufacturing preferred.
- Ability to read and understand gear charts.
- Ability to read blueprints and understand GD&T
- Experienced in Lean manufacturing concepts and methods to continuously improve the manufacturing process.
- Must be capable of investigating engineering problems and recommend appropriate corrective action.
- Proficiency in Solidworks Cad or equivalent required.
- Knowledge/experience with AS400/SAP
- Experience in project management or quality control is a plus.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Attention to detail is a must.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Previous experience in a high technology manufacturing industry.