Hartzell Propeller Inc.
Hartzell Propeller Inc. is a world class engineering and manufacturing company offering the broadest range of propeller systems in the aviation industry. We design, develop, test, manufacture, and support constant-speed aluminum and composite propeller systems for all categories of aircraft, ranging from general aviation to military applications.
The company traces its history to 1914, where a relationship between Orville Wright and Robert Hartzell led to the manufacture of the first Hartzell propeller in 1917. The company was founded on the principle of “Built on Honor” – a clear and abiding value in our business.
The Mechanical/Certification Engineer is responsible for the design and direct installation of mechanical, hydro-mechanical and or electro-mechanical products for propellers. The primary product line of responsibility will be aviation propellers and/or propeller components and propeller certification. This engineer position responsibility will include: 3D modeling in SoildWorks, preliminary structural analysis, failure analysis, writing test plans, oversee testing, document and interpret test results and project planning. In addition, the design engineer will interface with sales, manufacturing and the customer to implement new designs from inception to use in the field.
- Define the propeller configurations using 3D modeling (SolidWorks) software
- Write engineering test plans and reports
- Perform preliminary structural analysis
- Perform geometric dimension and tolerance assessments
- Master engineering changes in ERP/MRP/PDM systems
- Develop an understanding of the applicable FAA regulations, with a goal of becoming an ODA Unit Member.
- Designing rotating structural parts
- Manage project assignments
First Year Success Factors
- Develop a working understanding of the function of Hartzell’s different propeller systems
- Develop a working relationship with manufacturing and the sales group in order to support our products and customers
- Develop a working understanding of metal manufacturing processes (i.e.; machining, forging, casting)
- Manage engineering changes in Hartzell’s ERP,MRP, PDM software systems.
- Manage a number of concurrent project assignments using Microsoft Project and Access data bases.
- Become proficient with 3D modeling software – Solidworks
- Write engineering test plans and successfully coordinate testing with the engineering test lab
BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree. Experience with SolidWorks modeling software desired. Flying experience or interest in flying is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient Computer Skills (MS-Office, solid modeling software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Knowledge of rotating structural analysis
- Knowledge of aerospace materials
- Knowledge of assessing propeller/component life using applicable material fatigue capabilities and environmental effects.
- Engineering drawing standards (ANSI 14.5Y)
- Knowledge of project management methods (Microsoft Project)
- Adaptability – Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in the work tasks or the work environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures.
- Continuous Learning – Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Innovation – Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
- Manages Work – Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Work Standards – Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self imposes standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Customer Focus– Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
- Contributes to Team Success – Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Competitive compensation & benefits package
Hartzell Propeller, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.