Hartzell Propeller Inc.
Hartzell Propeller is the leading manufacturer of aircraft propeller systems for general aviation, supplying propeller systems for aircraft manufacturers and modifiers around the world. We are a small, team-oriented company where individual contributions are encouraged and recognized. We are located in Piqua, Ohio, approximately 25 miles north of Dayton – the birthplace of aviation. Piqua is a community of 22,000, which offers a friendly, small-town atmosphere yet is still an easy drive to Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati.
Hartzell Propeller is looking for an analytical, technical, detail oriented and self-motivating Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE) to join our Supply Chain. The SQE will be responsible for coordinating quality expectations with suppliers and verifying our quality standards are consistently being met. This individual is responsible for performing regular supplier audits to ensure compliance with regulatory standards, actively participating in commodity strategic development, and facilitating root cause corrective action. As a member of the supply chain, this SQE will serve as the technical liaison for suppliers and is expected to collaborate with other the suppliers and Hartzell team.
Key Expected Deliverables from the Position
- Drive continuous reduction of non-conformances from suppliers
- Lead the deployment of assigned commodity strategies – including development of quality requirements for new suppliers
- Supplier Development: Continuously improving the ability of the supply chain to deliver quality parts, on time, for lowest total cost
- Support/drive cost reduction initiatives for assigned commodities in an effort to reduce total cost of purchased material
- Support Engineering, Sales, Service Center, Purchasing, Product Support, and Manufacturing with timely, high quality (precise & accurate) Supplier Quality services
- Support Supplier Relationship Building – both internal customers and external supplier
II. Some typical job duties include:
- Manage supplier relationships as it pertains to quality including
- Approving/disapprove suppliers
- Facilitate scrap reduction projects with suppliers and internal functions
- Root cause analysis to eliminate purchased part non-conformances
- Perform quality system, process, and part auditing
- Updating process FMEAs
- Monitor the overall quality performance of suppliers
- Participate in new product development as it relates to purchased parts and materials, including
- facilitation of process planning and PFMEA development with the supplier
- define Quality Form requirements as needed to support development of inspection planning
- Support Receiving Inspection and shop with any supplier related quality issues
- Train inspectors on receiving inspection requirements
Some domestic and international travel to the supplier location is required, (approximately 25% of the time)
III. Required Experience:
BS Degree in Engineering/Manufacturing – 5 years of experience preferred
IV. Required Primary Competencies:
- Experience with Quality Systems (ISO9000, AS9100, TS6949, etc.)
- Knowledge of Manufacturing Processes
- Special Processes: Heat treating, chemical processing, welding, NADCAP, etc.
- Non-destructive testing: Magnetic Particle, Fluorescent Penetrant
- Philosophy of Lean Manufacturing
- Structured problem solving skills to determine root cause, including FMEA, SPC, Control Plans
- Knowledge of statistical sampling and analysis
- Technical Writing Skills
- Auditing skills
- Basic computer skills; (Microsoft Office, Outlook, Access)
- Willingness to travel
- Continuous Learning – Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Facilitates Change – Encourages others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
- Builds Partnerships – Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Team Facilitation – Ensures that meetings serve the business objectives while using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods; consider the needs and potential contributions of others.
- Initiates Action – Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive.
- Information Monitoring – Sets up ongoing procedures to collect and review information needed to manage an organization or ongoing activities within it.
- Communication Skills – Excellent communication and liaison skills required.
Competitive compensation & benefits package